Nita who writes at A wide angle view of India has tagged me with a movie quirks tag, being a little movie buff myself, this tag was a little tempting, so here I go, try to list some movie quirks about me.
1. My mother tells me I was a big movie buff as a kid too, there was a kannada movie called “Bhandana” which was released when I was 3 years old, and apparently I forced her to take me to the same move for more than 5 times, well it hasn’t been many movies like that which I have watched multiple times, but movie buffdom [if such word exists] did start pretty early in my case.
2. I have a weird taste when it comes to movies, generally the movies I like, are for sure box office flops. My dad has interesting theory, if I go to the theater and like a movie he says the producer should bribe me to say I hated the movie, because if I say I liked it its gonna flop for sure.
3. One exception when it comes to hit movies which I liked watching has to be the blockbuster “Hum Apke Hain Koun”, It might be too easy for people to guess that I like family oriented movies, and I just loved this movie, may be it was the age, or just watching an ideal family/romance on the big screen, I used to keep count as to how many times I have watched the movie, I gave up counting after 50.
4. I like to go for the morning show, the one at 9AM, I used to like this because not many people prefer this show, so we can get tickets easily, even in the first or second week after release. The night show is the worst, because I can’t keep myself awake. I still remember two movies, Devdas and Koi Mil Giya which I went to a movie show 9:30PM-12:30AM, and almost sleep watched the whole movie.
5. I am the worlds only pop corn hater alive I guess, I generally prefer potato chips to pop corn, and even though I like to have an occasional coke/pepsi I kind of avoid it because I hate/lazy to walk upto the loo between the movie.
6. I am not a multiplex guy, I don’t like to spend 150/200Rs on a movie ticket, may be I am stingy.. but I think its too much to pay for a movie. I have watched quite a lot of movies in recent times in multiplexes paying high ticket price mainly because all the traditional cinema houses have been demolished in recent times in Bangalore.
7. As a kid I used to like movies with sad endings, I used to always say that if a movie has a ending where both hero and the heroine die, I would rush to watch the movie. Was I a sadist?
8. I like to watch foreign language movies where I don’t understand a word, its kind of interesting to watch a movie on the basis of just body language of the actors.
9. I like to watch the movie till the credits are over, if people stand up before the credits are over, and I miss the closing songs I get pretty irritated.
10. I like animation movies a lot, I still refer to them as cartoon movies, and many of them like “Open Season”, “Ice Age”, “Lion King”, “Shrek”… you name It and I love it.